Wednesday, July 4, 2007

San Diego trip

We just got back from a weekend trip to San Diego. I'm a rampant Porschephile and I happened to find out that their national Porsche Parade this year was being held in San Diego this weekend. After Hotwire-ing a sweet 4-star hotel in the Gaslamp District, Tara and I headed out Friday night. We stayed the night in Yuma and got to SD by about 1pm. Neither of us had ever been there, so it was fun doing touristy stuff. Not to mention the 75-80 degree temps, compared to Phoenix's 113 temps during the same time.

We took a two-hour cruise of the inner and outer harbors, ambled around the Gaslamp a bit, toured the USS Midway, and of course ate. While I was at the Porsche Concours D'Elegance, Tara took a trip to Old Town. We had a great time. The only downside was Tara didn't think she'd need sunscreen on the cruise, while I practically bathed in the SPF50. Blond, bald, and extreme UV don't mix for me. I have barely any color while Tara fried her face and arms. She's getting better.

We stayed at the Hilton Gaslamp District for the same price as a Sheraton Four Points I had been looking at. We were right on the water and it was a very nice hotel. The only downside was the $30/day for the valet parking, but we still made out very well.

I'll post about our food later. :) While the food was generally really good, the restaurant experiences were wildly inconsistent.

No comments: