Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Hearing loss...

So my doctor has been on me to lose weight, so I've finally decided to do it. As part of that, I've been looking for relatively healthy recipes to cook at home. I'm a pretty good cook, and used to have a bunch of staples I'd make when in college and when I first moved to Texas. Ever since I've started making above slave wages, however, I love eating out and well, it's caught up with me in my old age. I'm much better at baking, especially cookies. When it's on the stove top, Tara usually takes command. Tonight, however, she was tired when she got home, so I decided to give the Citrus Chicken recipe a try. Being an engineer by training, if not occupation, I tend to follow the recipe fairly strictly the first time I make something. I did that tonight, and had one of my more miserable cooking failures. I got the pan a bit too hot, and we discovered that the smoke detectors hooked into the home alarm we have are DEAFENING. Being in the same small room with it (it's in our laundry room), caused my ears to go into white-noise mode. It was like the time I was at an air show in Hartford and an F-16 did a fly-by. You can hear and then you just get static. It's good to know that if the house ever does catch on fire, there's no way in hell we'll sleep through the alarm.

For those still reading, my worst cooking failure was my one and only attempt to make Chicken Kiev. Let's just say that the oil got too hot and flames were involved. I was just learning to cook at that time, and it stuck with me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad. I once set my entire stovetop on fire and had flames several feet high. Fortunately, I had a fire extinguisher on hand and put out the fire before any serious damage was done. Still, it was a pain to clean up all the powdery residue that was left everywhere after the fire extinguisher discharge.

Yankee1969 said...

Luckily my flames were fairly small. I was able to put the lid on the pot to smother them. Still, not a good cooking day. :)