Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A Rib For All Seasons aka Pork Fiction

Last week before I went to sleep, Good Eats repeated it's pork ribs episode, A Rib For All Seasons. They looked really good, but with Tara still looking for a job, we decided to wait until she finds one to try them. Today after my first day back at the gym since before we hit triple-digits, I stopped by Fresh & Easy. They actually has a couple slabs of baby back ribs 1/2 off, so I snagged one. I wanted to get two, but in case they come out badly, I didn't want to risk it. So I printed out the recipe and mixed up some rub. I deviated from Alton's rub since we lacked some of the ingredients. Instead of cayenne pepper, jalapeno seasoning, and Old Bay, I used ground mustard, barbeque seasoning, and Mrs. Dash. He said you could cater to your own whims for the remaining 1 of the 8:3:1:1 ration anyways. I just finished applying the rub and stashing them in the chill chest for the night. I've never done ribs before at home, so this should be interesting. The recipe looks really simple, so it'll be interesting to see if it's a keeper or not. I'll post an update tomorrow night.

Oh, and if you left comments recently and haven't seen them appear, it's because I completely forgot I was moderating comments on here... Sorry. :) They should be on here now. :) Thanks Geggie and Andy for your patronage. :) We really need to hook up sometime for dinner (A) or when you're in town (G). I know Geggie and Tara can compare their Camrys. Andy and I could probably trade Audi North Scottsdale service horror stories. :) I'm still baffled as to how they broke your windshield installing a TCU...

2 comments:

Geggie said...

I know it's not "BBQ" per se, but ribs in the crock pot rock!

We love them with just a packet of onion soup mix and a bunc of sauerkraut and cooked all day. Not fancy, but darn tasty.

My dad does a marinade with Italian dressing, teriyaki sauce, crushed red pepper and lots of garlic. Marinade for 24 hours...park bake at about 200 degrees for 3 hours or so and then throw them on the grill to crisp them up. Yum!

Andy said...

Sounds like fun! (meeting up for chow)