Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Grilled Teriyaki Albacore steaks

I love a good teriyaki-marinated piece of tuna, so I decided to find a simple marinade for the albacore I got yesterday at F&E. I found this one at Cooks.com. It's nice and basic:

1 2 inch piece of fresh ginger, finely minced
3-4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1 cup soy sauce *I used Kikkoman Light Soy*
1 cup sugar *I used dark brown sugar*
2 oz Jack Daniels (or other whiskey or rum) *I used Jim Beam*

I ended up with way too much marinade, but that happens. Luckily we had all the ingredients (the Jim Beam was purchased for a chicken marinade a couple years ago that we loved, but can't find the recipe anymore) so I mixed them up this morning in one of our big glass bowls. The albacore pieces only totaled about 1/2 a pound, so I could probably have cut the recipe in half or more. I put them in the marinade for about two hours, turning them halfway through.

At lunch, I turned the gas grill on low and once it was up to temp, I cooked the first piece for 3 min/side. It came out really good. I was still hungry, so I cooked the smaller second piece for 2 1/2 min/side. It was sorta wedge shaped and the thickest part was still just a tad less-cooked, but for a sushi person like me, it was fine. They were cooked all the way through, so this wasn't a sear at all. They had a nice sweet flavor, but not overly strong. We have a piece of frozen tuna in the freezer that will probably be great cooked this way. I can't wait.

No comments: