Friday, September 5, 2008

How to get Tara really excited



We stopped into Sweet Republic after dinner tonight and Tara started jumping up and down and grabbed my arm when she saw this flavor. We sampled it and she really liked it. She wanted to get Sugar n Spice ice cream, but I gently reminded her how badly she felt after out last visit, so she got Peachy Keen sorbet instead. I got Real Mint Chip. Very good.

We ended up chatting with the owners for quite a while. They are much younger than we expected. They are very friendly and discussed everything from where to get good bacon, what kind of ice cream flavors we enjoy, to Chinese and Thai food in the Valley. I introduced myself because I'd responded to a deleted thread one of them posted on Chowhound. It turns out that Sweet Republic is quite the CH gathering place. She knows quite a few of them now from their repeat visits. :) Or from the fact that one has always shown up wearing kilt... What's THAT about? :-D

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll pass on the bacon ice cream and the kilt, but I found myself part of an unexpected foodie conclave at SR last weekend. Helen and Jan are doing some wonderfully innovative things there, and I plan to continue supporting them even though the shop is a bit off my normal travel patterns. I've got a pint of mint chip and another of pear ginger sorbet in my freezer, and they've been making this past week particularly pleasant.

Anonymous said...

That is a type of icecream that I have not made. Maybe I will try that over the holidays......

JK Grence (the Cosmic Jester) said...

Chowhounds in kilts? I have no idea what you're talking about... *turns and walks away slowly, whistling*

Yankee1969 said...

That's why names were omitted to shield the guilty. :)