Thursday, April 5, 2007

St Clair Broiler - St. Paul, MN

We spent the weekend in Minnesota to surprise Tara's dad on his 60th birthday. We stayed in the Cities on Friday before heading to Lake City on Sat. For lunch on Friday, we went to the St Claire Broiler on her sister's suggestion. It's like an over-sized corner diner, and it was much larger inside than I first thought. We got there around 11:30am and it was moderately busy. They had a very interesting menu and lots of it looked appealing. I went against type and got a Philly cheesesteak sandwich. It came with steak fries that were good, but I would have prefered them to cooked a bit more. The sandwich was really good, with lots of green peppers, onions, mushrooms and cheese. The roll tried it's best, but still got a bit soggy, but not too bad. Tara got something with gravy and garlic mashed potatoes, but I forget exactly what. Her sister Theresa got a pulled-pork sandwich with the same fries as I had. It was a huge pile of meat on the bun, with a really good bbq sauce. The real hit was her mocha shake. I tried a taste and it was chocolately with a strong coffee taste. Really good. I wish I'd ordered one myself. She polished off the fries and picked at the meat, but still had a huge pile to take home. I'd certainly go back if I'm in the area again, but Minnesota in anything close to winter conditions isn't something I want to experience too often. :) Our waitress was very accommodating, even bringing us a small ramekin of the bbq sauce to sample before we made our final decisions. They had daily specials and the fish fry was very popular by the looks of it.

1 comment:

Tara said...

Tara had an open-faced roast beef sandwich with garlic mashed potatoes and a ton of gravy. Her mouth is watering just remembering. :)