Friday, April 6, 2007

Chanpen - quick bite

I went to Chanpen yesterday to satisfy a Thai craving. I decided to try something different, so I got the larb salad with chicken and an order of the egg rolls. I don't normally like vegetarian egg rolls, but for some reason I really enjoy theirs. They came out crispy and not too hot. I wasn't expecting it, but I got a small cup of what I found out to was chicken lemongrass soup with my meal. It was really good. Spicy, lots of mushrooms and chicken, and that full, deep flavor that all great Thai soups have. I prefer tom kha, but this was right up there as well. I got the larb at mild spice level. It came out on a nice fish-shaped plate (Chanpen has some of the best dishes), with the chopped chicken, carrot, onion, cilantro mixture on top of some big lettuce leafs. I enjoyed it. It had a nice sharp spicy flavor. Tangy, maybe. It was different than some of the other larb I've tried, but I've only had it a handful of times. Still, it was a very flavorful dish and worth trying if you enjoy larb.

No comments: