Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Bumps in Turkey Road

Today hasn't been great for the prep. First, I went to brine the turkey and our Von Hanson's "Fresh Turkey (never been frozen)" was a nice block of ice. This really pissed me off, since I found this tidbit out just as I opening it to put into the brine bucket. I called VH and they said the turkeys are "flash chilled" with CO2 for shipping per federal regulations. How this is different than "freezing" isn't readily apparent to me. They said the flesh would be "firm to the touch" but that's it. Well, by bird was pretty much frozen. I had it in the sink under running water for an hour or so and that seems to have thawed it, but I still feel somewhat hoodwinked. When I get a "Fresh" turkey at other places, it's not frozen at all. The turkey has been in the fridge all night too. Next year we'll just go with a standard one at this point. Why pay extra when it's frozen and that's what we were trying to avoid in the first place.

On the side front, the yams we got for $.25/pound have gone south. The ends are all mushy. Pretty nasty. So much for the fresh, cheap veggies at Phoenix Ranch Market on 16th Street. All in all, not a good day for the food.

No comments: